General everyday questions, We think we got it covered!
I have some questions and need a real live human being to talk to. Is that possible?
Of course! Feel free to give us a call on (07) 55 330 488 from 9am-3pm (EST) Monday - Friday. Or email Debbie at email@example.com
What is Plants in a box?
Plants in a Box is a brand new way to buy plants for your garden at 50% off retail prices. Our plants are called 'tube stock' which means rather than being in a pot, they are in a smaller tube. The secret is our plants are ready to plant straight into the ground as they are the same size (and in some cases bigger than a 140 mm pot size that you find in retail nurseries) . Our plants are thick with foliage and have an excellent root system to ensure that they grow strongly once planted into your garden. We are horticultural experts and have been growing plants for over 35 years.
Won't the plants die before they arrive?
Not a chance.
Because they are a living thing it is a tricky question. Our plants range in size from 10cm – 25cm depending on the type of plant.
Shipping & Returns
What are your shipping costs?
Absolutely free! We offer free shipping to eastern states of Australia (Qld, NSW, ACT,SA and VIC ). Unfortunately we cannot send to Tasmania and the Northern Territory WA due to quarantine regulations (however if you have a bulk requirement please email us and we may be able to assist).
How long will it take for my plants to arrive?
Standard shipping takes 2 - 4 days to most eastern states. If you require express delivery, we are happy to arrange. The cost of express shipping is $10.
But come on, how fast can I actually receive my parcel?
For standard shipping expect your box of goodies in 2-4 days depending on your location. For an extra cost we can provide express shipping, your babies will arrive the next business day if you are within the Express Post Network outlined by Australian Post. As soon as your plants are dispatched you will get a tracking number so you can follow their journey.
We are located in Currumbin Valley, Queensland and use Australia Post to ship our plants.
- Check out https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/calculate-postage-delivery-times/#/ to calculate delivery times.
- Will express post get there over night? If you are within the express post delivery network outlined by Australia Post you will receive your parcel next business day and the fastest possible delivery for all other areas.
Can I return plants?
Plants are tricky to return because they are a perishable item. If for whatever reason you are not happy with your plants, please give us a call on (07) 55330488 and we will help you find a solution.
I got technical issues eek!
So I'm having problems logging in or checking out? Don't worry we are here to help! Sometimes certain browsers can cause problems, see if using another browser helps eg. Chrome, Firefox, safari. If that doesn’t work we are in the office from 9am-3pm (EST) Monday – Friday so give us a call on (07) 55 330 488 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- My payment says not processed – what do I do? Annoying things do happen and sometimes banks don’t talk to each other. If you are having any problems with payment give us a call on (07) 55 330 488 and we will be able to help finalise the order.
We have tried to make buying from Plants in a Box an easy process. Simply browse our website by garden type, plant type, what will grow best in your area, or full sun/part shade. You can also do a specific search in the search toolbar which is the magnifying glass located at the top of the web page. When you have found what you are looking for simply add them to your shopping cart, let us know of any special instructions and hit the checkout button. You will be asked to provide your delivery details in the next section. You will receive a confirmation order once you have completed your order.
What's the whole shipping process like?
- How long does it take for my online plants to arrive? Our plants will arrive in 1-7 days depending on your location. Sometimes external factors are out of our control such as weather and public holidays which can hold up the postal system. We offer express shipping at an extra cost from $10.00.
- So how are my plants posted? Once you have finalised payment your plants are then carefully packaged and sent via Australia Post’s E-Parcel. You will receive and email with all the tracking information including a tracking number from Australia Post. Please leave a note for us in the special instructions section of your order if you have any delivery instructions.
I only have a PO Box is that a problem? Don’t be silly, of course not we can send to a PO Box, a residential address or a business address. Just don’t leave them waiting at the post office for long.
- When do you send the plants? Postage days for NSW, ACT, SA VIC, QLD are Monday and Tuesday so there is no chance they will get held up in the post depot over the weekend. We also ship Queensland orders on Wednesday. All online plants are shipped from Currumbin Valley and we ensure they arrive as soon as possible.
- What do I do if my plants don’t arrive when expected? Don’t panic! We will help you find your plants. There are a few things you can check first.
Tracking – You should have received an email from Australia Post with a tracking number. Head to https://m.auspost.com.au/view/tracking and enter your tracking number to check its status.
Card received – Check if an ‘Item Awaiting Collection’ or ‘Safe Drop’ card has been left in your letterbox or under your door.
Give us a call or email us and we will check the address details to make sure the item was correctly addressed.
I've got a few more general questions
- Will my plants survive if I receive them on a Tuesday and not plant them till the following week?
They will be fine, however please unpack them carefully, make sure they are well watered and out of extreme weather conditions.
- What plants do you sell? We have over 350 different species listed on our website which we know will do well in Australian gardens. Everything from frost tolerant to drought tolerant, tropical to native, full sun to Indoor plants. We are sure you will find something perfect for your needs.
- Then why should I buy plants online? You can now garden every day of the year without even leaving your couch! Rain, hail or shine you can still potter about in our online nursery and when you have finalised your selection we will send out an exciting box (or boxes) full of premium, hand-selected plants. You still get your hands dirty and just think your saving money!
- Will my new plants be ok after a long journey? Our careful packaging ensures the plants will be fine during their journey to you. However, they may look a little tired and thirsty especially in hot weather, so give them a big drink of water and they will be ready to move into their new home in no time.
- What will my plants look like? Our plants are tube stock plants which mean they are smaller sized plants usually between 5cm and 15cm tall. The ten pack tube stock plants are potted in a 42mm x 42mm x 70 deep tube. The eight pack plants are planted in slightly bigger tubes at 50mm x 50mm x 70mm deep. All our plants have excellent root systems and have brilliant, healthy foliage.
- Why do you supply tube stock plants? They say good things come in small packages and at Plants in a Box we agree!
- Our smaller plants mean smaller package which makes it cheaper and easier for us to send to you.
The little plants adapt quickly when planted, they are eager to become adults and can’t wait to grow bigger, more extensive roots giving you a faster grow time.
Small plant means smaller hole which means more time for you to sit back, have a drink and watch your plants grow instead of working up a sweat and having to dig a dirty big hole.
Our babies are so cheap compared to the larger plants which means you can buy more to play around with a variety of colours and species to create your perfect garden.
How many plants do I need to buy to make a hedge? A good rule of thumb for hedging plants is the one-third rule. Multiply your desired hedge height by 0.3. This will mean that for a 1m high hedge, each plant will be planted 30cm apart for a 1.5m high hedge they will be 45cm apart. If you want a thicker hedge faster, keep the spacing closer. Don’t forget to look at the full growth height and spread in the plant description section of our website.
- I live outside Australia, can I still place an order? We think receiving a little box of plants is a perfect gift so if you are living overseas and want to send someone a gift you can! You just need to make sure the delivery address is within Australia.
- I have received my plants and there is a Plant Health Assurance Certificate included. What is this? Each state within Australia has a department responsible for plant quarantine to help preserve and protect our plants and environment. This certificate is evidence that certain legal quarantine requirements have been met and allow the plants to relocate happily interstate.
- I am going to be away – can I postpone my order until I get home? Relax, if you know you will be away when you place your order just let us know in the notes section at the checkout. We can hold your order until you are home. Go and enjoy your holiday, have a cocktail for us and we will make sure your plants are well fed when you arrive home.
- There is a problem with my order – what do I do? We are so sorry, sometimes mistakes happen. Call us on (07) 55 330 488 9am-3pm (EST) Monday – Friday or email us. We promise we will make it up to you.
Can I change or cancel my order? Once an order is placed it cannot be changed or cancelled on your side. However, we all make mistakes give us a call on (07) 55 330 488 9am-3pm (EST) Monday – Friday or email email@example.com
Some of us need help choosing a plant right for me. Will you help me? No problem, there are a lot of choices to be made or even if you are just after a little inspiration we are here to help. For each plant listed we have provided a photo, description and the dimensions you can expect your plants to grow. If you still feel like you need more help feel free to email Debbie at firstname.lastname@example.org or better yet jump onto our online chat. Its that little pop up box found at the bottom of the page.
How do I remove the plant from the tube? Great, you’re ready to plant your new babies! It can be tricky removing them from the tube but follow these easy steps and it shouldn’t be a problem.
- Gently squeeze the sides of the tube to loosen the plant. Be gentle, patient and don’t pull.
- Turn the plant upside down and pinch the stem gently between your fingers
- Lightly tap the bottom of the tube with your other hand – or tap the tube rim against a solid object and carefully slide the tube off. Well done you did it!
What soil do I use? We suggest using a premium potting mix which is PH balanced and nutrient rich.
- Ok so how many plants are actually in a box? Our specially designed boxes are 34cm x 21cm x 10cm and depending on the plant size can contain the following combinations of products:
- 10 x 42mm tubestock
- 8 x 50mm tubestock
- 20 x 42mm tubestock
- Oh no! The plant I want is out of stock – what should I do? Sometimes we run out of stock. We only send our plants out when we know they are big enough and strong enough to handle its journey to you. If an item you want is currently out of stock call us on (07) 55 330 488 9am-3pm (EST) Monday – Friday or email Debbie at email@example.com and we will be able to give you an estimate of when they will be ready.
Can I purchase gift vouchers? Of course you can, gift vouchers can be purchased and a special note can be included. Go on and spoil that special someone.
Can I mix the plant species up in one box? We offer a few select mixed boxes for you to purchase such as a native mixed pack or the indoor mixed pack. Apart from these mixes our boxes are usually species specific, However, nothing is impossible so call us on (07) 55 330 488 9am-3pm (EST) Monday – Friday or email Debbie at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will see what we can do.
Will my plants last in the tubes for a longer period of time if I can’t get to planting them straight away? They sure will, you just need to make sure you have taken them out of the box and stood them upright, they will also need to be well watered and out of extreme weather conditions. To maximise full growth potential, it is best to plant as soon as possible so they can adapt to their new home.
- How much water do I need to give my new plants in the first few weeks? How long and how much water will depend on the soil type and a few other factors such as weather etc. Make sure you give your plants a good drink of water as soon as you plant them in the ground, allow the water to soak in and drain, and water again, until the soil is thoroughly moistened. For the first few weeks after planting water daily or every second day as the roots will not be able to access soil moisture from a very large area until they get bigger. After a few weeks (unless the weather is extremely hot and dry) you will be able to decrease watering frequency to two of three times per week. Just make sure to test how dry the soil is before watering. Generally, you want the soil to be dry 2-5cm below the surface before you water.
Enjoy your new babies.
The team @ Plants in a Box